Monday, January 4, 2021

Time to plan for... Martin Luther King Jr. Day

This year Gwen was finally old enough to have some of the more in depth conversations about Martin Luther King Jr and some of the struggles that he and others like him faced both during his time and even still today.  While I knew I could tell her stories that I had heard, and stories of things I had witnessed, one movie that showed what it was like in a very kid friendly way is An American Girl Story - Melody 1963 Love Has to Win (free to watch on Amazon Prime). It is rated for 7+, but Common Sense Media parents say 9+ and I agree with them, some of it can get a bit intense for littles. 

We also did this set of coloring pages and reader from Real Life at Home. 

Finally, to honor his memory we made dinner of his favorite foods that this Taste of Home article listed, fried chicken, macaroni & cheese and peach cobbler for dessert. 



No comments:

Post a Comment