Sunday, August 18, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent & Fabric Softener

We try to live a very natural life, including laundry soaps, fabric softener, dish soaps, all food made from scratch, etc. I keep getting asked for my laundry soap/fabric softener recipes, so here they are.



This is nearly no suds (I saw none at all) so I believe it is safe for HE machines, but don't take my word for it, do your own research.

We've been using this for a few weeks now and LOVE it. I even use it on my cloth diapers and they come out super clean and smelling great.

I use 2 TBL per load, but if your clothes are really dirty I would use 3-4.

Haven't added a pretty label yet, but I will and I will share when I do

To make a larger batch use:

1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder – $2.92
4lb of Baking Soda – $1.69 (I get a 13lb bag at Costco for about $5)
1 box Borax – $3.29
3 bars Fels-Naptha – $2.82

Total for large batch $11.57. If it lasts me my estimated 180 loads, that will be $0.06 per load! Sounds great to me!

To mix, first grate your soap, I use a regular cheese grater or the grating attachment on my food processor (yes I still use it on food, these products are all natural and as long as you wash it good it's just soap), once grated I put everything in a garbage bag (or a bucket would work too) and mix (think Shake & Bake). Then take batches and put it back in the food processor and grate until well mix and a fine consistency. Put it into a large container and shake. 

Blending away in my food processor


For the fabric softener you'll need:

1 cup distilled water
1 cup baking soda
2 cups distilled white vinegar

Mix the vinegar and water together and slowly add the baking soda, it will foam slightly. Once it's all together, keep shaking until there is no more chemical reaction. Each time you use it you will need to shake as the baking soda will settle. I have a Fabric Softener dispenser built into my machine so I just fill it up each time, or you can use a Downy ball and fill it to the "large" load line. I have an old softener container that I cleaner out and reuse for this... otherwise any old milk gallon would work.

With this detergent and fabric softener my whites are whiter than ever and my clothes smell cleaner than ever.

You can add essential oils to either product, but I have yet to find one I like the smell of so I just keep it 'natural'.



Just remember, with planning and organization, you CAN do it all.  

2 comments:

  1. How long do these last (or do they go bad?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's just borax and washing soda, I don't think it goes bad. I know months later my last batch is still working like the day I made it.

      Delete