Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ditch the Box - Instant Oatmeal

Another installment in the "Ditch the Box" series...This allows you to know EXACTLY what your family is eating and they are so much healthier & tastier than the store bought mixes.

This is a two-fer... I'm all about saving money, I mean who isn't right? Well, I love a hot breakfast, but there are so few oatmeal coupons and the instant boxed stuff is cheap, but so FULL of salt and preservatives, so I decided to play around and make my own.

Instant Oatmeal:

42oz container of Quaker Oats 1 minute/instant oats
Snack Sized Ziploc baggies
Whatever add-ins you want

There are 2 sizes you can make, 1/4 c. or 1/2 c. the packets you buy at the store are 1/4 c. each so it's up to you, I always eat 2 packets for breakfast so it was just easier to make each packet a serving for me. For Gwen I make them 1/4 c. since she doesn't eat as much.

Place 1/2 c. oats in a baggie then add in what you would normally put in your oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar, chocolate chips, PB2, etc. I usually make mine with 1/2 c. oats and 1.5 TBL brown sugar. For preparing use 3/4 to 1 c. water for the 1/2 c. packets or 1/2 to 3/4 c. water for the 1/4 packets, unless you like it thicker, just adjust to taste.

Since I like mine maple & brown sugar I use 2 tsp maple syrup when I make it as well. I made little packets for those from some candy bags I found. It seems like a little extra work making the baggies, but the flavor is WELL worth it. You can do with any non-dry ingredients, just use the little 2oz ziplock bags made for candies and it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment