Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sensory Bin: Colored & Scented RIce

I decided to build some sensory bins for Gwen and tonight is the first in my series. I'm only doing a couple of colors to start with as I only had 1/4 box of rice left. Tonight I made Red Watermelon, Blue Pina Colada and Purple Grape.














For these I used:

1 1/2 tsp rubbing alcohol
Gel food coloring
Hard Candy oils (a few drops)
1/2 cup rice
Snack size sandwich bags

1. Mix the alcohol, food coloring and oils and mix thoroughly. I just put it all in the baggie and shook it until it was combined.

2. Add the rice and shake, Gwen loved helping with this part.

3. Lay out the rice on a cookie sheet or in a cake pan to dry, I put it on the back patio and it dried in about an hour.


Once it was complete I put it in a plastic show box and gave her a couple teaspoons, small cups and a couple other containers... she went crazy filling and dumping the rice. In order to keep the mess contained I put an old sheet down on the floor first.

No comments:

Post a Comment