Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Time to plan for... Johnny Appleseed Day

It's no secret that we LOVE apples in our house, and getting to 'celebrate' one of our favorite fruits twice every year is super exciting. We do huge things in the fall when we go apple picking, but we also have lots of fun on March 11th for Johnny Appleseed day. 

Every year we read the story of Johnny Appleseed and how he brought apple trees to areas of our country which otherwise wouldn't have had them. This is a great kids book and as they get older they can read it to you. 




I also found this super fun activity pack over on Teaching with Children's Books, that I think you will all love. 



Every year I make apple pancakes for breakfast, just use your favorite pancake mix and as soon as you pour the batter on the griddle add a very very thin slices of granny smith apples, they're super yummy. Here is my favorite pancake recipe. For pancakes, use 2 cups of the above mix and add 1 cup of milk and 2 eggs, they're delicious and quick to make. 

In her lunch every year I send apples and caramel sauce or apples and peanut butter, depending on the apples we have on hand. I pre-slice them in the morning and soak for 5 minutes in water with a tablespoon of lemon juice, it doesn't take on any of the lemon flavor, but keeps them from browning, you can also use citric acid if you have some on hand. 

For dessert I usually make my apple bread with cinnamon butter which makes for a great breakfast the next morning too. Last year I made apple cookies with cinnamon cream cheese icing. 

A fun tradition is at dinner, wear a pot on your head like Johnny Appleseed. The kids will love it. 

For Gwen's class I usually make "apple" cupcakes as a treat. 

What is your favorite apple recipe? Share in the comments below.


Just remember, with planning and organization, you CAN do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment