Sunday, March 3, 2019

Working Supermom Secret... My Morning Routine

If you're anything like I was, mornings feel insane, no matter how much I planned or how early I tried to get up, I felt like I never had enough time in the mornings, or at least I didn't until I put together a solid morning routine. 

Hopefully seeing mine will help you to plan your morning and make your day a productive one.

Alarm goes off at 5:15 AM
  1. Review my to-do list - before even getting out of bed, I review my to-do list for the day, Google Keep for the win, just to get in the mindset of productivity. After that I feel as though I have a good handle on what the day ahead holds.
  2. Make the bed - I get out of bed and make it, including all my pretty pillows. My room just feel so clean having the bed made. 
  3. Get dressed - clothes are always picked out for the week on Sunday's so it's quick. No matter how productive you think you can be in your PJ's, I can guarantee you're more productive in clothes. Even if it's yoga pants and a t-shirt, changing clothes will get your blood flowing and wake you up. If you don't wear outside shoes in your house, get yourself a pair of inside only sneakers, feeling like you're going somewhere will keep you going. 
  4. Aesthetics - If you like to do your make-up and hair, go for it, personally I don't wear make-up except a little mascara (blonde lashes get me) and my hair is perpetually in a messy bun. 
  5. Start laundry (on a delay) - I delay it for 7 hours, because then it finishes up about 20 minutes before I get home from work. Then, I will switch as soon as I get home and put away before bed. (We'll go over that more in my night time cleaning routine) 
  6. Wake up the tiny human - if she's not already up and then she's off to get ready on her own. Her clothes are also set out for the week on Sunday's and she has her checklist of morning tasks to complete. 
  7. Drink some water - I will grab my water bottle from the refrigerator and drink about half of it, I prefer very cold water and these bottles keep things VERY cold. I've had ice still solid after 2 days. And for only $9.99 they're a steal.
  8. Make her lunch - she takes a hot lunch nearly every day, if I'm sending a cold one I will make it the night before and store it in her lunch box in the refrigerator, but that is rare. For hot lunches I love these insulated bowls because they keep things hot and are comfortable to eat out of and are leak proof. Her favorite lunchbox was a Target find, it's an Outerspace insulated one. One of our favorite things about the Cheeky® Kids brand is that for every Cheeky® Kids item you buy, a child in need will get a meal right here in the U.S. with No Kid Hungry. 
  9. Make breakfast - I prefer she eat a hot breakfast and have many things prepped, but some days she wants mac-n-cheese or spaghetti and if that's what I'm making for her lunch I'm fine with that, because really, how is mac-n-cheese any less healthy than pancakes covered in syrup? 
  10. Empty the dishwasher
  11. Practice this weeks spelling words - while I'm emptying the dishwasher we'll practice the spelling words on her list this week, I keep them on the white board on our command station and pull them down while we're practicing
  12. Reload any breakfast dishes - as soon as it's emptied I'll add any breakfast dishes, or lunch making dishes, or midnight snack dishes that are in the sink
  13. Double check backpacks - I pre-pack all backpacks the night before but I will go thru both again just to double check. In her backpack I look to make sure her homework is done, all papers are signed and her lunchbox is in it. I'll also look thru mine quickly to ensure my laptop, work phone and any other items I need are in it.
  14. Hugs & Kisses - Always hug & kiss your family good-bye every morning, no matter what, even if they're sleeping give them a little kiss, be a minute late if it means still getting those hugs & kisses, but with a good morning routine you'll be 20 minutes early with zero stress
And I'm off to work by 6:25 AM. 



Now, surprisingly, even if it's a weekend my morning routine varies very little. 

On the weekends:
  1. Dressed to the shoes - most weekends it's just blue jeans & a t-shirt
  2. Aesthetics - for me it's no different than a weekday, a little mascara and a messy bun and I'm off
  3. Laundry - this time no delay
  4. Breakfast - I make a hot breakfast every Saturday, and make double the amount of pancakes, waffles or french toast to freeze, if there's still a lot left over from the previous weekend I'll make eggs & toast or cinnamon rolls instead
  5. Dishwasher emptied & refilled
  6. Send a message - send a message to someone you haven't talked to in awhile. Just a quick "Hey! Was thinking about you and hoping all is well." It will mean a lot to the person and takes less than 30 seconds of your time. 
Then I begin my Google Keep to-do list for the weekend. If you don't use Google Keep you're missing out. Check out my post all about this "secret" weapon offered by Google.

What does your morning look like? Is there some part of it that stresses you out? Anything you could pre-plan? 

Just remember, with planning and organization, you CAN do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment