Friday, September 13, 2013

Homemade Hanging Bar

My daughter LOVES to hang on things & people. She will hang on the playpen, the refrigerator, guests, anything she can get a grip on. So we created her a hanging bar that is safe, sturdy, and cost us less than the replacement handles on our refrigerator would have.



The dimensions and strength is based on my 32" 24lb daughter. You may need stronger/longer pieces depending on the size of your child. I take NO responsibility for any injury that may result from building this device, this is not an instruction guide, but merely an explanation of how I did it.

 




Supplies
3/4" schedule 40 PVC
          7 pieces - 18" long
          2 pieces - 35" long
          6 - 90 degree
          2 - Ts
PVC glue
Sandpaper
Sand

I cut all pieces, and scuffed up edges.



Once completed I glued together all the base pieces except 1 - 90 so that I could fill the base with sand.


I then glued on the last 90 once it was full. Next I glued on the riser pieces and filled them 1/2 way with sand, gluing on the final 90s and hanging bar. I allowed it to dry for about an hour before letting her play with it.

It is currently unpainted because the glue was barely dry when she claimed it as her own. Going to try to paint it one night this week once she's in bed so that it's dry by morning. 




 She LOVES it!!!


 Just remember, with planning and organization, you CAN do it all.

2 comments:

  1. we made this! it's great! thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you figure out the size for the weight of your daughter? My sons are almost 3 and almost 4, and 34 and 39 pounds. This is just what I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete