Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Homemade All Natural Deodorant

Deodorant is a necessity in life, it just is, I started looking at natural alternatives because the cost of store bought is really high as well as the amount/type of ingredients in deodorant/antiperspirant is mind blowing. I have finally found one that I like and it works better than any I've ever bought at the store.

It's 3 simple ingredients (or 4 depending on if you want it scented). Cornstarch, baking soda & coconut oil. I love coconut oil and you'll see it a lot more on my blog because it's uses are endless. If you want it scented you can add some essential oils or you can add a little talcum powder and it smells like baby powder (you can use baby powder instead of talc, but I really wanted to stick with truly all natural).

 
The recipe is super simple, it's 2 TBL of coconut oil and 4 TBL each of cornstarch & baking soda. If you are using talc or baby powder, just reduce the cornstarch and baking soda to 3 TBL each and use 2 TBL of talc. This makes it super thick and impossible to mix but if you microwave the mixture for 10 seconds the coconut oil will completely melt and make mixing it easy once it cools it will solidify. Since this is so solid while it's still slightly warm you can spoon it into an empty deodorant container (with the base screwed 1-2 clicks from the bottom) and toss in the freezer for 5 minutes. 

It's messy getting it in since it's a non-Newtonian fluid, and I didn't want anyone to assume it's not so I took a picture of once I got my filled, I just waited a few seconds for it to solidify and it crumbled right off the sides.

 

DO NOT try to turn it up while it's cold, the mechanism on the container will break, let it come back to room temperature (2-3 hours) and then use like normal, altogether costs less than $0.25 for an entire stick of deodorant and you can make it smell like any essential oil you want by adding a couple drops, or baby powder as previously mentioned.

After mine came back to room temperature I screwed it up a little and molded it with the top and a rag just for ease of use & to be a little less scratchy since I had put it in the freezer with the top flattened so the edges were a little sharp.




Just remember with planning and organization, you can do it all. 




1 comment:

  1. With ingredients like baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil, it is now quite easier to make the natural deodorant for kids at home. In fact, the home based deodorants are more beneficial for the kids since they contain natural ingredients that won’t harm the sensitive skin of the children. http://www.wekeepitkind.com/us/

    ReplyDelete