Monday, September 9, 2013

Food Book - Speech Therapy Tool

My daughter starts speech therapy soon and to prepare we were asked to make a Food Book for her in order to help her communicate with us what she wants to eat rather than going through a yes/no check list. I created mine and thought I would share in case any other mommy's are needing to make one as well.

Tools:
Chipboard (I save all mine from the inside of frames, so I reused some 8x10 stuff I had)
Patterned Paper
Printed pictures of all the foods they like
White Card Stock
Glue
Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper
Laminator
Laminating sheets
Zutter Wire Binder

I began by printing all my daughters favorite foods on white card stock, to ensure she was aware of what they were I had her sit with me and Googled the name and asked her to tell me which it was, i.e. I Googled Macaroni & Cheese and asked her to point at the image of Macaroni & Cheese (there were about 30 on the screen) the first one she identified as it is the one I saved. All my images were printed "Wallet" size and not fit to frame. I also printed each items name to help her begin to identify written words as well as categories (Drinks, Snacks, Meals).

Once I had all the pictures I needed, my daughters diet is limited so it was quick, I covered the pieces of chipboard with pretty paper. Cut out each of the food items and glued them down along with the name of the item.






Once this was complete I used my YourStory Binder to Laminate all the sheets to prevent damage, then I bound it together using my Zutter Wire Binder. 

It works wonders. She grabs her book and tells us what she wants to eat... having it spiral bound allows us to add pages as she discovers new things that she likes to eat.

Just remember, with planning and organization, you CAN do it all.    


No comments:

Post a Comment